- 4 aubergines, halved
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 60g flaked almonds
- 6 tbsp natural breadcrumbs
- Handful of mixed fresh herbs, chopped (mint, parsley and coriander)
- 450g halloumi, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 4
- Score the flesh side of the aubergines and season with salt, pepper and brush with oil
- Heat an oven-proof griddle pan and brush with extra oil. Bring to a high temperature
- In a bowl, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup and flaked almonds
- Season then fold in breadcrumbs, followed by chopped herbs and mix together well. Set aside and allow ingredients to infuse
- Place the aubergines flesh side down onto the griddle pan and leave for 5 minutes, allowing time to take on colour
- Turn the aubergines over and position halloumi slices on top
- Spread breadcrumb and herb mixture over halloumi and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until browned and melting
- Be careful not to over-season with salt as halloumi can be quite salty. Delicious with a crisp salad
A hearty vegetarian dish packed full of amazing flavour combinations. This aubergine recipe brings together salty halloumi, sweet maple syrup and fresh herbs as a delicious and delicately balanced stuffing for the baked aubergine.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.