- 1 litre air-popped popcorn (you will need approx. 2 tbsp kernels)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 tbsp bacon fat (reserved from pan)
- 120ml pure maple syrup
- Make your popcorn: heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the popcorn kernels, cover the pot, and cook until popped, shaking pot occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate; reserve 1 tbsp of bacon fat from the skillet. Once cooled, crumble bacon into small pieces.
- Using a large mixing spoon, lightly coat the inside of a bowl or casserole dish large enough to hold the popcorn with the reserved bacon fat. Combine the popcorn and bacon in the greased bowl. Set aside.
- Place maple syrup, in a heavy-bottomed, non-reactive saucepot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and continue boiling until the mixture reaches 236 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Drizzle the hot maple syrup over the popcorn. Working quickly, stir with greased mixing spoon until all popcorn is coated with maple syrup.
- Cool and store in airtight containers in the fridge or enjoy immediately!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.