For the cronut
- 700g strong bread flour
- 300g plain flour
- 50g maple sugar
- 20g salt
- 14g dried yeast
- 80g butter
- 40ml maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich taste)
- 420ml water
- 500g butter for the lamination
For the filling
- 20g fresh tomato
- 30g cooked bacon
- 10g lettuce
- 10ml tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp maple syrup (preferably golden for its delicate flavour)
To make the dough
- In a mixer bowl put all the ingredients together and with the hook, mix the dough.
- 1st speed for 2 minutes then, 3rd speed for 6 minutes.
- Roll the dough onto a baking tray then keep it in the fridge for 5 hours.
To laminate the dough
- Both components (butter and dough) need to be pliable for this recipe to work. Cool but pliable.
- As long as they are both cold and also pliable, they roll out easily while still maintaining separate layers.
- Here we will be rolling out and folding the dough twice to create 25 dough and butter layers. Folding the dough is how you laminate it to create the beautiful, flaky layers.
- The first fold will be a single fold that will create nine dough and butter layers.
- Roll the dough and fold it in three.
- Repeat this process twice.
- Roll and cut the dough with donut shape cutter (1cm thick).
- Proof the donuts in a warm place (25c) for about 1 hour.
- Then deep fry until you get a nice golden colour.
To make the cronut filling
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Cook the bacon on a baking tray for 15 minutes.
- Cut the cronut in half like a sandwich, pour the ketchup, add two slices of tomato, some lettuce, and the bacon.
- Pour more ketchup onto the bacon, then cover the sandwich with the other half of the cronut.
To make the maple glaze
- Boil maple syrup for 1 minute.
- With a brush, spread the glaze on the top of the cronut.
Chef’s tip: When you’re rolling out the dough and folding it, it’s very important that the dough is always chilled. It’s also important that the dough rests for at least 2 hours between rolling out stages.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.