For the pastry
- 150g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 180g maple sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of ½ a lemon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 375g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
For the lemon filling
- 200ml lemon juice
- 150g maple sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g unsalted butter
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 180g maple sugar
- You will also need a loose-bottom, fluted flan tin and some baking beans.
To make the pastry
- In a food processor, add the butter and maple sugar and pulse together, then add the eggs and mix on a low speed.
- When the mixture is smooth, add the flour, baking powder and lemon zest and bring together into a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry until it is big enough to cover your tin.
- Press the pastry into the folds of the tin and make sure that any cracks are covered.
- Chill for one hour.
- Put a baking sheet in oven and preheat to 180c.
- Line the chilled pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake the pastry case for 15 mins. Remove from the oven and take out the beans and greaseproof paper.
To make the lemon filling
- Add the egg, lemon juice and maple sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the butter bit by bit, mixing continuously, then pour the curd into your tart case.
- Keep the tart in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours so the curd sets.
To make the meringue
- Place the egg whites in a clean, dry mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the maple sugar, whisking all the time until the whites reach stiff peaks.
- Take the tart out of the fridge.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a plain 1½cm nozzle and pipe even blobs over the surface of the chilled curd in a neat pattern.
- Gently toast the meringue with a blowtorch or place under the grill until lightly browned.
This lemon meringue pie includes a velvet smooth lemon tart, similar to a tart au citron, with a soft meringue topping. A delicious and fresh dessert.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.