- 375g pre-rolled short crust pastry
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra 1-2 tsp
- 200g rainbow chard, stalks finely chopped and leaves roughly chopped
- 2 pears, halved, cored and sliced
- 3 large eggs
- Grating of nutmeg
- 150g crème fraîche
- 150g blue cheese
- 50g walnut halves
- 75 pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 100ml double cream
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the butter and 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan or skillet over a medium heat, chard stalks for 5-8 mins until soft and starting to caramelise. Add the chard leaves and continue to cook until wilted, then remove from the heat.
- Line a 20cm tart with the pastry and fill with baking beans.
- Toss the pear slices in 1-2 tsp oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake both in the oven for 15 minutes then remove both from the oven.
- Remove the baking beans from the pastry case and continue to bake for a further 8-10 mins until the bottom is golden and crisp.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, then season with some nutmeg and whisk in the crème fraiche maple syrup and double cream. Stir in the cheese then pour half the mixture into the tart case.
- Add half the chard and the rest of the custard. Then add the remaining chard.
- Top with the roasted pear slices and the walnuts and bake for 28-30 mins, or until golden and cooked through.
- Leave to cool for 20 mins, then slice and serve.
A pear, walnut and blue cheese tart sweetened by the natural sugars of pure maple syrup. This delicious tart recipe is ideal for spring, with the salty, sharp flavours of the blue cheese balanced perfectly by the pear and maple.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.