for the risotto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 500g arborio rice
- 1 glass white wine
- approx 1.5l vegetable stock
- 100g tomato paste
- 1 bag spinach
- 100ml double cream
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- parsley (to taste)
- parmesan (to taste)
For the scallops
- 15 fresh scallops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- knob of butter
To make the risotto
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan.
- Add the chopped shallots and fry for 10 minutes until softened, adding a splash of water if it starts to catch.
- Add the garlic and fresh thyme, cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice and stir until every grain is lightly coated in oil.
- Add the wine and allow to bubble until reduced by half.
- Heat the vegetable stock in a pan and keep warm over a very low heat to keep warm.
- Add a ladleful of stock at a time to the risotto, only adding more once the last spoonful has been completely absorbed, stirring all the time.
- Once the rice is cooked but still has a little bite, add the spinach and tomato paste and cook for another few minutes. Stir in the double cream, maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste.
To make the scallops
- Preheat a pan over a high heat and add oil.
- Pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper and season well.
- Add the scallops to the pan (they should sizzle, if not, you need a hotter pan) flat side down and cook until golden brown, this will take 2-3 minutes.
- Flip each scallop over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add a knob of butter to the pan and use a spoon to baste the scallops.
- Add your cooked scallops, parmesan and parsley to the risotto and serve immediately.
In this scallops recipe you can learn how to cook scallops properly from a professional chef’s perspective.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.