- 6 eggs, hard boiled
- 70g butter
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cardamom seed
- 600g rice
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500g spinach
- 2 sheets of pastry, 24cm x 40cm
- Half side of salmon, 500g
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- Hard-boil 6 eggs for 6 minutes and then refresh in iced water. Peel, slice and set aside.
- Blanch spinach in salted boiling water for 10 seconds, refresh in iced water, then lay the leaves at on a dry cloth on a tray to soak up the moisture.
- For the salmon, preheat oven to 220ºC/ 200ºC fan.
- Melt butter (20g) in a frying pan, seal and season the salmon on each side.
- Roll out pastry into 2 rectangles (24cm x 40cm) and lay the first sheet of pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Remove cinnamon, star anise and bay leaf from the rice and place a layer of rice in the middle of the pastry sheet.
- Lay the sealed salmon on top of the rice, leaving an edge of 2cm, and add a second layer of rice.
- Next, add a layer of spinach and the sliced egg. Place the second sheet of pastry over the top, seal all edges and score with the back of a knife.
- Finally, brush with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 180ºC fan and cook for a further 20 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes.
- For the fragrant rice, start by heating the butter (50g), cumin, coriander, maple syrup and cardamom in a large pan.
- Cook for about 6 – 8 minutes until golden, then stir in the rice.
- Add stock/ water, star anise, bay leaf and cinnamon, cover and cook.
- When the rice is cooked, drain, set aside and leave to cool.
- For convenience, the rice, eggs and spinach can be cooked the day before and refrigerated overnight.
- Serve a generous slice of the salmon Wellington with a chive butter sauce or dill crème fraiche. The dish can be served warm or cold.
This show stopping dish is the perfect centrepiece for any garden party of celebratory get together. This dish is delicious served warm or cold.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.