INGREDIENTS FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 210g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 100g maple sugar or caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 60g grated carrots
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MAPLE CARAMEL
- 100g maple sugar or caster sugar
- 1 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 50g dairy-free cream (single, double or coconut cream)
- 15ml dairy-free milk
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 250g dairy-free butter
- 20g dairy-free cream cheese
- 300g icing sugar
- 1 tsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden syrup for its delicate taste)
- Orange food gel
- Green food gel
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C fan and line two cupcake tins with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup and whisk until fully combined. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugars, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and ground spices. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter
- Fold in the grated carrots.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter.Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20minutes.
- Place the cupcakes in a sealed container if storing overnight.
TO MAKE THE MAPLE CARAMEL
- Place the sugar and maple syrup into a large pan over low/medium heat, stirring continuously until it begins to dissolve then turn off the heat.
- When it’s golden and liquid, add in the cream and stir vigorously.It will steam and bubble but keep stirring. You want to be very careful, but quick so you don’t get crystallised lumps
- Once the caramel cools down, pour in the dairy-free milk, stir until everything is dissolved.
- Place the pan back onto a low/medium heat bring it back to the boil. It will begin to bubble, just keep stirring.
- Once ready, pour in a heat proof jar or bowl and allow to cool fully before use. When the caramel has cooled, you can place it in the fridge until ready to use.
- Core the centre of each cupcakes with an apple corer or knife and spoon/pipe in some of the caramel sauce.
TO MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and dairy-free cream cheese, whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Add in the icing sugar, maple syrup and aquafaba, and whip on high speed for 5-10 minutes until it turns light and creamy.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake. Decorate each cupcake with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a buttercream carrot (optional).
TO MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING CARROTS
- Add any leftover buttercream frosting into two separate bowls and colour the bowls green and orange food gel.
- Add both colours into separate piping bags and pipe carrot shapes onto grease proof paper. Place into the freezer and allow them to freeze before lifting up and placing on top of the cupcakes.
- Serve these cupcakes fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge.
- The buttercream frosting and caramel core will firm up in the fridge, so allow them to come to room temperature before serving. Best eaten within a few days.
Find more great recipes and imagery by Holly Jade (The Little Blog of Vegan) here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.