- 250g dates
- 5 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 85g unsalted butter
- 85g maple sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200ml water
- 100ml Cointreau
- 150ml whole fat milk
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 80g chopped dried apricots
- ½ tsp fresh nutmeg
- 80g sultanas
- 50g ginger
FOR THE SAUCE
- 75g unsalted butter
- 125g maple sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 135ml double cream
TO MAKE THE PUDDING
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a tray or bundt mould with greaseproof paper.
- Soak the dates in boiling water and liqueur for 30 minutes and add the vanilla.
- Beat the butter and maple sugar until white and creamy. Add the eggs, a little at a time. Then stir in the maple syrup.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, nutmeg, mixed spice into a bowl and fold a third of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Then add half of the milk. Repeat until all mixed in.
- Add dates and the rest of the dried fruits to the mixture.
- Place into tin or bundt mould and cook in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Check that the pudding is cooked through by inserting a skewer.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the mould.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Heat the butter and maple sugar in a pan with 50ml cream.
- When the maple sugar has dissolved and turns to a toffee colour, take it off the heat and add the remaining cream.
- Turn out the pudding onto a plate and pour the sauce over the top.
CHEF'S TOP TIP
- Any dry fruits can be used in this recipe. These should be gently steamed. Don’t worry if you can’t get your hands on a bundt mould. Any baking mould is suitable and should be lined with greaseproof paper.
Love it or loathe it, Christmas pudding is a key part of Christmas dinner – why not give it a makeover with maple and butterscotch?
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.