For the cheese scones:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 60g unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 120ml whole milk
- ½ tsp English mustard
- ½ garlic powder
- 1 egg, for egg wash
For the maple-apricot jam:
- 100g apricot jam
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
To make the cheese scones:
- Put the flour, salt and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cold butter cubes and mix in the dry ingredients by hand.
- Mix until you see only small chunks of butter and the flour looks evenly coated in butter.
- Add the finely grated cheddar, mustard and the chopped spring onion.
- Create a well in the centre of the bowl and pour in the milk and maple syrup.
- With a spatula, incorporate the dry ingredients and milk until the dough is combined. Try not to overwork the dough.
- Transfer over a lightly floured surface and roll the dough into a circle about 2 cm / ¾ inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, cut out the scones and place them over a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and place the scones in the fridge while the oven is preheating.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush the egg wash over the top of each scone to give a nice golden colour.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool down before serving.
To make the maple-apricot jam:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients together and then transfer to a clean jar.
- Slice your scones in half and insert your desired leftovers. You could use ham, beef or cooked vegetables.
- Pour over some of the maple-apricot jam and then replace the top of the scone. Serve and enjoy!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.