- 1 packet trifle sponge fingers
- 4 sticks of rhubarb, peeled and cut into 2” pieces
- 300ml prosecco
- 3 sachets of strawberry flavour jelly crystals
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra for garnish (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 300ml ready-made custard
- 6 plums, halved and cored
- 125ml whipping cream
- Large handful of blackberries
- Winter berries of your choice for garnish
- Break half of the sponge fingers in half and place in the base of the trifle dish.
- Place the rhubarb in a saucepan with 300ml of prosecco and poach on a low heat until it starts to soften. Take off the heat, add 1 tbsp maple syrup and one sachet of jelly crystals, stirring until dissolved.
- Pour the jelly mixture over the sponge fingers and leave to set overnight in the fridge
- Spread a layer of cold custard over the set jelly and put back in the fridge
- Poach the plums in 200ml water with 1 tbsp maple syrup until soft. Take off the heat and pour in one sachet of jelly crystals, stirring until dissolved.
- Pour the plum mixture over the custard layer and put back in the fridge again to set, for at least two hours.
- When the plum jelly has set, break the remaining sponge fingers and place on top.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to form soft peaks and use half to spread a thick layer on top of the sponge and then return the trifle to the fridge.
- Cook the blackberries in 150ml water with 1 tbsp maple syrup until soft. Take off the heat and add one sachet of jelly crystals, stirring until dissolved.
- Pour the blackberry mixture on top of the cream then return to the fridge to set one last time.
- Just before serving, use the leftover cream to top the trifle, then decorate with winter berries of your choice and drizzle with maple syrup.
For garnish we used cherries and maple sugar frosted cranberries, but you can use whichever berries you prefer.
This trifle recipe has layers upon layers of Christmas-inspired flavour, each as delicious as the next.
Find more Christmas recipes in our free ‘A Very Maple Christmas’ cookbook here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.