FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200g maple sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 100ml whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 100g butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 50ml pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- Mini eggs, for optional decoration
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases. Combine the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl use an electric hand mixer to beat together the maple sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. In a jug, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Add half the flour and half the milk/egg mixture to the creamed butter and maple sugar, then beat together. Add the rest of the flour and milk/egg mixtures and beat again to make a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cases, then bake for 20 minutes or until risen and a toothpick or skewer inserted into a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Then add the vanilla and maple syrup.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of each cupcake, then decorate with mini eggs.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.