FOR THE BASE
- 200g walnuts
- 150g pitted dates
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil (refined, for a neutral flavour)
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE CAKE FILLING
- 200g rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 200g walnuts, soaked for 2-4 hours (or overnight)
- 250g silken tofu
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp beetroot powder (or pink food colouring)
TO MAKE THE BASE
- Chop the walnuts, or crush with a rolling pin, then add to a blender and blend until broken down
- Add the dates, cocoa powder, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt to the blender, blend until well combined and the mixture starts to come together in a dough-like consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of water
- Spread the mixture in a small springform cake tin, using the back of a spoon to press so it is compact and evenly spread
- Pop in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes (this can be done ahead of time)
TO MAKE THE CAKE FILLING
- Add the rhubarb, water and 4 tbsp of maple syrup to a pan, cook on medium heat for around 15-20 minutes until the water has evaporated, rhubarb has broken down and the mixture is thickened to a jam-like consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Drain the walnuts in a colander, then blend with the tofu, vanilla, beetroot powder and final tablespoon of maple syrup
- Add the rhubarb and blend until everything is combined and has a creamy but firm texture Add to the cake tin, spreading evenly over the base
- Pop back in the fridge and leave it to chill for at least an hour
- Remove the sides of the cake tin and dust over a little more beetroot powder for an extra sprinkle of pink.
Find more great recipes and imagery from Francesca here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.