- 4 whole mackerel, descaled
- 4 tbsp olive oil for greasing
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon, halved and griddled
- 4 vine tomatoes, halved and griddled
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 4
- Make 3 – 4 shallow, diagonal incisions into the mackerel and season with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and grated lime zest. Squeeze over juice of half a lime and leave to marinate for 10 minutes
- Heat an oven-proof griddle pan on high and lightly brush with oil. When hot, griddle the mackerel for 5 minutes on each side
- Transfer pan to the oven to bake for a further 15 minutes until flesh is no longer translucent
- Meanwhile, put together soy sauce, maple syrup and ginger in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower heat to a simmer and reduce liquid by half to a glossy, sticky consistency
- Plate mackerel and drizzle with the maple and soy glaze and serve with griddled vine tomatoes and a squeeze of a lemon
Packed with fatty acids, fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with these sweet, sticky flavours. This baked mackerel recipe also incorporates pure maple syrup for an added touch sweetness. A restaurant-grade dish that can be prepared in under an hour – perfect for your midweek rotation.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.