- 7kg smoked pork shoulder (bone in)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 300ml strong beer of your choice
- 235ml chicken or beef broth
- 175ml pure maple syrup, divided
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and garlic, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beer, chicken or beef broth, 115ml maple syrup, mustard, cloves, cinnamon, coriander and pepper, whisking until well-combined. Bring to a boil.
- Add pork to pot. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Carefully remove pork from pot and transfer to a baking dish.
- Continue cooking liquid until reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 60ml maple syrup.
- Baste meat with maple glaze. Transfer to oven and bake until ham begins to crisp, about 20 minutes, basting with maple glaze every 5 minutes.
- Carve ham and serve with vegetables of your choice.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.