- 4 lamb shanks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped brown onion
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500ml chicken stock
- 300g giant couscous
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 4 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 red or green peppers, cut into big pieces
- Mix the coriander, cumin, paprika and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Separately, put the olive oil into a casserole dish on a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the spice mix and fry for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the lamb shanks to the pan, making sure the shanks are coated with the spices while browning the meat.
- After the lamb shanks are nice and brown, add the tin of tomatoes, onion and garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, making sure the lamb shanks are largely covered, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the salt and pure maple syrup to the pot, cover the pan with the lid and reduce the heat to let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Let the lamb continue to cook for another 2 ½ hours, turning the lamb shanks over every 30 minutes.
- Then, add the peppers and fresh tomatoes to the lamb and continue to cook for another 30 minutes. The meat should be almost falling off the bones.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a large bowl and cover with the sauce from the lamb. The liquid should cover the couscous.
- Cover the bowl with the lid from the pot for about 15 minutes. This will allow the couscous to soak up all the flavours.
- Uncover the bowl and fluff the couscous up with a fork.
- Put the couscous onto a big platter and dish out the lamb shanks and the vegetables on top of the couscous.
- Pour any remaining sauce on top of the dish.
Enjoy making this lamb shanks recipe? Take a look at our other lamb recipes!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.