- Maple shortcrust pastry (see base recipe).
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 125ml pure maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour (for work surfaces)
- Use a non-stick pan to sauté the onions in maple syrup for about 20 minutes or until caramelised. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked leave to one side to cool.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into a rectangle measuring about 46cm x 20cm.
- Spread the caramelised onions onto half of the pastry and fold the other half over the top of the onions.
- Cut into strips and twist them.
- Place the twists on a baking sheet and put in the freezer for about 1 hour or until the dough is semi-frozen (stops the dough expanding too much).
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 20 minutes or until the twists are golden.
These sweet maple onion twists are the perfect cold-weather snack. Featuring maple shortcrust pastry and pure maple syrup, this recipe is ideal for warming up on cold winter days.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.