- 250g softened unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar, plus 25g extra for topping
- 300g ground almonds, plus 25g extra for filling mix
- 140g plain flour, plus 25g extra for filling mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 plums, stoned, halved and cut into thin segments (approx. 6 per plum)
- 1 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup
- 50g flaked almonds
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a flat rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and ground almonds until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Divide the mixture and place half into another clean bowl.
- Add the flour to one of the bowls and bring the mixture together using your hands to form a dough ball. Tip the mixture onto the lined baking tray and gently flatten down all over. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden in colour, remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the filling by adding the eggs, extra flour, ground almonds, 1 tsp cinnamon and baking powder to the remaining breadcrumb mix to form a soft batter upon stirring. Pour and spread evenly over the cooled tray of baked breadcrumb base and top with plum segments in neat rows. Bake for another 15 minutes then take out and gently pour over the maple syrup. Scatter a teaspoon of cinnamon and flaked almonds on top and bake or place under the grill to brown for a final 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the almond flakes.
- Serve warm straight from the oven with ice cream, crème fraîche or just as it is!
This easy yet delicious tray bake will satisfy mid-morning hunger pangs or an afternoon lull. A real crowd pleaser that makes seasonal plums the centrepiece.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.