- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 1-star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150ml red wine
- 1 red cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 2 Bramley apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add the onions and cook on a medium heat for 8-10 mins. Add the star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Pour the wine and let it simmer until slightly reduced. Add the cabbage, sugar, maple syrup and apples and stir well. Season well and cover and simmer on a low heat for 3 hours, stirring every now and again.
- Once the cabbage is tender, check the seasoning. Serve in a bowl with the star anise and cinnamon stick on top.
Sweet maple syrup and apples are simmered for three hours to flavour gently spiced cabbage. The perfect side dish for all occasions.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.