For the pancake batter:
- 300g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600ml whole milk
- 50g melted butter
For the chocolate filling:
- 150ml whipped double cream
- 100g melted dark or white chocolate
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- Sliced banana and melted dark chocolate with pure maple syrup
- Fresh raspberries white melted white chocolate
- Fresh mango slices with melted white chocolate
To make the pancake batter:
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, vanilla extract, maple syrup, melted butter and the egg.
- Slowly pour in the milk and mix well until the batter is smooth.
- For best results, rest in the fridge overnight or at least 30 minutes before cooking.
To cook the pancakes:
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a little bit of oil.
- Tilt around the pan and then pour in a ladleful of pancake batter.
- Swirl and tilt the pan so that the batter spreads into a thin layer to form a crêpe.
- Cook for about 1–2 minutes and once bubbles start to form, flip, then cook on the other side for another minute or so until golden.
- Repeat until you have used the whole batter.
To make the chocolate filling:
- With a whisk, mix half of the whipped cream into the chocolate and maple syrup then gently fold the other half with a spatula.
- Slice edges of each crêpe to make them square, then place pancake on a clean kitchen towel.
- Pipe a line of chocolate filling on the edge of each crêpe.
- Place fruit along the chocolate filling.
- Carefully roll up pancakes to about 1-inch diameter.
- Place the sushi rolls in the fridge for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the rolls with maple syrup and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
- Trim edges of rolls and slice with a sharp knife into 5–6 pieces and serve.
Fancy a change from traditional pancakes? These sweet sushi rolls may look like a challenge but are surprisingly simple to make – all you need to do is add a couple of extra steps to your usual pancake-making routine!
After cooking your thin, crispy, crêpe-style pancakes, enriched with pure maple syrup, you simply need to slice the edges to make a square, spread over the filling ingredients and roll the pancakes to form your deliciously sweet sushi rolls! After setting in the fridge for 30 minutes and glazing with some more maple syrup and desiccated coconut, your dessert sushi is ready to serve! This pancake sushi recipe makes around 8 sushi rolls, which are then cut into around 40 portions, making this a great dish for sharing.
If you’re looking for more unique pancake recipes like these sweet sushi rolls, keep scrolling for a wider selection a desserts, pancakes and other sweet treats!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.