- 1kg cooking apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 500g eating apple, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 450g onion, sliced
- 50g fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1tsp peppercorns
- 500g granulated sugar
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 500g cranberries
- 250ml amber, rich-tasting maple syrup
- Place all ingredients except cranberries in a large, heavy-based saucepan and gently heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the maple syrup and bring to the boil, before reducing heat and simmering, uncovered, for about 50 mins, stirring regularly until the apples and onions are tender, the mixture has thickened and no watery juice remains.
- Add the cranberries, then cook for a further 10 mins or so until just softened but not burst.
- Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal. Store unopened in a cool, dark place. The chutney will keep for up to six months. Chill on opening.
Makes 4x 500g jars. Nutritional values given for 1x 1 tablespoon serving.
Sweet and flavoursome, this chutney is the perfect accompaniment to a Christmas cheeseboard.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.