FOR THE MAPLE CARAMEL
- 100ml pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 50g tahini (or nut butter of your choice)
- 60g vegan butter
- A pinch of salt
FOR THE VEGAN BROWNIE BATTER
- 120ml aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 220g caster sugar
- 150g cooking chocolate (70%)
- 100g vegan butter
- 100g plain white flour
- 70g ground almonds
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 30g cornflour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp fine table salt
- 100g water
- Flaky salt, to sprinkle (optional)
TO MAKE THE MAPLE CARAMEL
- Combine the maple syrup, tahini, vegan butter and salt in a small pot. Stir over a medium-low heat until the butter has melted then continue to cook until thickened for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into a bowl and set aside.
TO MAKE THE VEGAN BROWNIE BATTER
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the aquafaba and cream of tartar (if using) in a stand mixer or a large bowl with electric beaters until it starts to become fluffy. Gradually add the caster sugar whilst whisking until all the sugar has been incorporated and the mixture is thick, glossy and looks like stiffly beaten egg whites.
- In the same pot you were using earlier, melt the chocolate and vegan butter over a low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent it catching. Lastly, stir in the water and remove from the heat.
- In a seperate bowl mix the flour, almonds, cocoa powder, cornflour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of whisked aquafaba and sift in the flour mixture. Fold together until combined and pour into your prepared tin.
- Take spoonfuls of the maple caramel and dot over the surface of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top looks dry but the centre is still soft. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the salt and allow to cool completely before slicing into 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Made with rich caramel, these vegan caramel brownies are deliciously indulgent – and vegan!
Find more great recipes and imagery from Izy Hossack here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.