- 500g vegan white marzipan
- 375g mixed dried fruits, chopped small if needed
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 75ml orange juice
- 75g vegan butter or margarine
- 60ml/80g pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber for its rich taste)
- 180g mashed banana (or apple puree)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g plain or gluten free plain flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven at 120 fan/140C and lightly grease then line an 8-inch round cake tin with parchment paper.
- Take 1/3 of the marzipan and roll it out onto a parchment-lined surface (as big as your tin) and use the base of your tin to cut out a circle. Wrap up any scraps of marzipan for later.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mixed dried fruits, mixed spice, cinnamon and orange juice and stir.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Now pour in the maple syrup, mashed banana and vanilla essence and whisk until incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and pour in the ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Stir to a thick and smooth batter.
- Fold in the mixed fruits (scrape all the spices and juices into the bowl). Pour half the batter into the tin, smooth over the top and place the circle of marzipan on top. Now cover with the remaining cake batter and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until golden on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin then remove and cool fully on a wire rack.
- When the cake is cool, roll out ½ of the remaining marzipan to a circle the same size as your cake. Roll the rest of the marzipan into 11 balls.
- Heat the grill to medium-high and brush the cake with maple syrup. Place on the circle of marzipan, arrange the balls around the edges and brush the top with more syrup. Place under the grill and allow the top to turn golden brown, keep an eye on it as it will only take a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the grill and once cool, store at room temperature for 1 week.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.