- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 250g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 x 400g tinned haricot beans or 400g dried and soaked overnight in water
- 250ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas 3
- In a pan, heat oil and fry onions with carrot, bacon, maple syrup, garlic and paprika for about 5 minutes
- Add bay leaves and Dijon mustard and stir
- Transfer ingredients to an ovenproof dish, add beans followed by stock and stir together
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, without the lid to allow water to evaporate, leaving juices marinating the beans
- Serve on toasted sourdough
These flavoursome baked beans with toasted sourdough provide a luxury twist on a classic staple.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.