- 150g butter (softened) plus a little extra for greasing the bowl
- 150g caster sugar (sifted)
- 150g self raising flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp maple syrup (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 tbsp maple flakes
- 100g maple spread
- Oven safe glass bowl
- Maple wood smoking chips
- Setup your BBQ for indirect cooking and aim to get your temperature around 200C/350F
- Grease your glass bowl with butter
- Spread the maple spread around the inside of the glass bowl, about half the way up
- Cut your pineapple into rings and then position inside the bowl on top of the maple spread
- Drizzle a little maple syrup over the pineapples
- In a mixing bowl place the cake ingredients; beat the butter and sugar together then add the eggs beating them in one at a time. Now add the rest of the ingredients, the self raising flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix until smooth
- Now spoon the cake mixture into the glass bowl covering the pineapples
- Time to cook it! Sprinkle some maple wood smoking chips over the coals and put your cake in the centre of your BBQ on the grills and close the lid, let it cook for about 40 minutes
- Once you can put a knife into the cake and it comes out clean it’s ready. If the top cooks too quickly you might have the grill too hot, don’t worry just cover the bowl with foil and it should be fine
- When your cake is cooked allow it to rest in the bowl for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a plate
- Finally drizzle a little extra maple syrup on for good measure and sprinkle some maple flakes to add a sweet crunch to the top
A fun cake recipe that recreates a school dinner classic! Baked on the BBQ, this pineapple upside-down cake makes for a fantastic centrepiece for a big summertime feast. Maple spread provides an added splash of sweetness to this refreshing fruit cake.
Find more great recipes and images from BBQ Forte here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.