- 2 small beetroots
- 8 scallops with roe
- 20ml pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden for its delicate taste)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (I used mild/fruity Aleppo chilli)
- Pinch or two of coarse sea salt flakes to season
- Handful of kale tossed lightly in olive oil
- Wedge of lemon to taste
- 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- A BBQ set up for hot direct grilling, you should be able to hold your hand 8” above the coals/grill for 2 to 3 seconds max, approx. 180c
- A couple of flat metal skewers
- A basting brush
- Digital probe thermometer
- Cook the beetroot on the BBQ, you can do this straight in the embers for around 20-30 mins until the outside is charred and the inside softened.
- Place your scallops onto the skewers and season with salt.
- Cook scallops for 3- 4 mins each side on the BBQ, until lightly brown.
- Lightly brush on the golden maple syrup and dust with chilli flakes and then cook for a minute more each side, ensure they don’t go higher than 55c internal temperature (check with a digital probe thermometer).
- Crisp up the kale on the BBQ (you can use a metal sieve placed onto the coals for this).
- Thinly slice the beetroot.
- Plate up the beetroot slices, kale and scallops, season with a pinch of sea salt flakes, drizzle with a little olive oil and squeeze over the wedge of lemon.
Scallops are lovely, plump, and sweet, but a glaze of light maple syrup and some fruity chilli flakes really complements these flavours. The beetroot has a delicious, earthy sweetness and the kale when crisp resembles seaweed. Recipe created by Country Wood Smoke.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Download Cooking with Maple, Naturally.
Enter your email address to join the Maple from Canada mailing list and download a free copy of our new cookbook.