Tofu and marinade
- 500g tofu
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 20 fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large courgette
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g cooked puy lentils
- 1 red onion diced
- Sprout tops
Pumpkin and pecan bread
- 225g plain flour
- 150g maple sugar
- 150g pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 425g pumpkin purée
- 75ml water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g chopped pecans
GINGER AND MAPLE TOFU
- Sweat the red onion and paprika gently, add courgettes and balsamic.
- Add cooked lentils, then add sprout tops or any wintergreens.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Cut the tofu into 2-inch squares.
- Combine maple syrup, fresh ginger, garlic, vinegar, oil and soy sauce.
- Marinate tofu in mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- Griddle the tofu for 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately on the lentil mixture.
- Serve with pumpkin and pecan bread.
PUMPKIN AND PECAN BREAD
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease two loaf tins.
- Mix the flour, maple sugar, maple syrup, bicarbonate, salt and dried spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix the purée, water, eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and then fold in the pecans.
- Bake until golden brown for 50-60 minutes. Cool before removing from the tins.
- Seal the tofu and use the marinade to help glaze.
- Place the lentil mix in the serving dish and place the glazed tofu on top.
- Slice the pumpkin and pecan bread to accompany the dish.
CHEF'S TOP TIP
- Halloumi can be added alongside the tofu, or as a replacement. After a few days, you may prefer to toast the bread. Try adding some maple butter to complement the pumpkin and pecan bread with a hint of sweetness.
With tofu marinated in sesame oil, soy sauce and maple syrup, this makes a great salad dish for any time of the day and works well with pumpkin and pecan bread.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.