For the tofu
- 200g firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
For the vegetable rolls
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ red cabbage, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into batons
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 3 carrots, grated
- ½ head of Romaine lettuce
- 15 rice paper sheets
- mint (2 to 3 leaves for each spring roll)
- basil (2 to 3 leaves for each spring roll)
For the peanut dipping sauce
- 200g peanut butter
- 150ml coconut milk
- 50ml soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple vinegar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 2 pinches of chilli flakes
- handful of peanuts for decoration
To make the tofu and sauce
- Mix all ingredients together (except tofu) until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and add this mixture, the cubed tofu, and a pinch of salt.
- Pan fry until the tofu is a light golden colour on 3-4 sides, about 5 minutes. Wait until each side has browned before turning for easy release from the pan.
To make the rolls
- Fill a shallow, wide bowl with warm water.
- Lightly wet the surface of a chopping board.
- Dip a rice paper sheet into the bowl of water and circle the paper around so that the entire surface is moistened.
- Transfer the rice paper sheet onto the wet board.
- Place a lettuce leaf on top of the rice paper.
- Then, lay the vegetables, tofu, mint and basil on top, about 1/2 to 1 inch away from the bottom of the sheet.
- Starting from the bottom of the sheet, start rolling everything towards the middle.
- Fold the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the centre and finish rolling up the spring roll.
- (NOTE: If you find that the sheets are quite stiff, let it sit on your cutting board for an extra 10 to 15 seconds to soften. Then, roll up the spring rolls.)
To make the dipping sauce
- Put all dipping sauce ingredients in a food processor then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a serving dish and top with peanuts.
This vegan maple spring roll recipe is a great way to learn about how to make spring rolls. They are a perfect starter for vegans or vegetarians.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.