- 40g dark muscovado sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 cardamom pods
- 100ml pure maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 500ml double cream
- 100ml whole milk
- 200g dark Belgian cooking chocolate, chopped
- 75g stem ginger, drained
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, for dusting
- 50g crystallised ginger pieces
- Put the sugar and egg yolks in the bowl and whisk until well combined, thickened and airy. You can also do this in a large bowl with an electric whisk or by hand if you wish.
- Bash the cardamom pods to break the green outer shell; discard the shells and save the seeds. Coarsely grind the seeds using a pestle and mortar and place in a saucepan with the cream, milk, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat, tip in the chocolate and leave it to sit for a couple of minutes, then stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the hot chocolate cream onto the yolks and sugar, whisking vigorously until smooth.
- Divide the stem ginger between 10 small glasses or espresso cups and carefully pour or ladle the chocolate mixture over the top. Cover and chill for 4 hours, then dust with cocoa and scatter over some crystallised ginger just before serving.
Chocolate, cardamom and crystallised ginger make for a moreish dessert. Perfect for dinner parties!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.