- 2 free-range chicken breasts, trimmed
- ½ savoy cabbage, shredded
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 50ml double cream
- 50ml red wine
- 2 tbsp gravy granules
- 50ml chicken stock
- 4 crushed garlic cloves, sliced
- Handful of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 25g unsalted butter
- Season and pan-sear the chicken breasts until golden brown, add butter, half the garlic and thyme and place in a pre-heated oven for 6 minutes at 185°C.
- Once cooked, leave to rest.
- Place garlic and thyme in a small pan and cover with red wine and bring to a boil. Once boiled, whisk in gravy and simmer down with chicken stock to get the right consistency.
- Fry the bacon lardons until golden and slowly add maple syrup.
- Once the bacon is cooked, place on a sheet of kitchen paper to one side.
- Steam cabbage for 30 minutes in a heavy-bottomed pan and cover with a lid, shaking the pan every 5 minutes until wilted.
- Strain cabbage and re-season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cabbage in the middle of the plate and carve the chicken in thick slices over the top.
- Drizzle the sauce and maple bacon over and serve.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.