FOR THE CROUTONS
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 3 thick slices of bread
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 large lettuce leaves
- 3 handfuls washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, halved
- 60g Emmental cheese
- 3 heaped tablespoons tinned sweetcorn
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- Turn the oven to 200C. Spoon the olive oil into a bowl with maple syrup and dried mixed herbs and mix together.
- Break a thick slice of bread into bite size pieces. Repeat with the other slices of bread, add to the bowl and mix with a spoon to make sure that all the bread is coated.
- Scatter the bread onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until they’re lightly golden and crunchy.
- Measure the natural yogurt into a bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup and season with a few twists of freshly ground black pepper. Mix together with a spoon.
- Tear a lettuce into pieces, put into a colander or sieve and wash under the cold tap at the sink. Shake to dry or pat dry with kitchen paper and put into a salad bowl.
- Tear the spinach leaves into pieces and add to the lettuce.
- Peel the avocado skin away from the flesh. Using a table knife, cut the avocado into little pieces and add to the salad.
- Using a table knife, cut the Emmental into small pieces and add to the salad.
- Add the sweetcorn to the salad. Spoon half of the dressing over the salad. Add the croutons and mix everything together.
- Add more dressing to taste and serve!
This recipe was created in partnership with Cook School. Find out more and download our workbooks for various age ranges.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.