- 160g whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod (split and scraped)
- 300g sea salted butter (at room temperature)
- 60g glucose
- 150g caster sugar
- 225g maple sugar
- 100ml pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 500g dark chocolate
- Small square chocolate moulds
- Kitchen thermometer
- Piping bag
First, make the caramel filling:
- Gently boil the cream and the vanilla pod together and leave on the side.
- Mix together the caster sugar and maple sugar.
- Place one third of the sugar mixture and the glucose in a pan and start to heat.
- When it begins to melt, gradually add the remaining sugar mixture and heat until the caramel turns an amber colour.
- Take the caramel off the heat and gradually add the cream, stirring continuously. Stir in the maple syrup.
- Gradually add the butter and stir until fully combined then leave to cool.
Make the tempered chocolate casing and fill with caramel:
- Finely chop the chocolate and set aside one third.
- Slowly melt the remaining two thirds in a metal bowl over a saucepan of hot water, stirring regularly and ensuring the hot water doesn’t boil or touch the bottom of the bowl.
- When the chocolate reaches 45-50C remove it from the heat.
- Add the remaining third of the chopped chocolate to the mixture and stir continuously until it cools to 28C-29C. Gently warm back up to 31–32°C. Your chocolate should now be in temper.
- Pour the tempered chocolate into the mould and tap vigorously to remove any bubbles.
- Tip the mould upside down so the left over chocolate falls into a bowl leaving a thin layer covering the mould casings.
- Leave in a cool and dry place to set.
- Pipe in the cooled caramel into each mould casing until almost full.
- Cap the tops of the chocolates with the remaining tempered chocolate and allow the chocolates to completely set for a minimum of 30 minutes. When set, gently tap the chocolates out of the mould.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.