- 200g sweet potato, diced
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 50ml pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- Handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- Bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 150g hot-smoked salmon, flaked (skin discarded)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 50ml milk
- Spray olive oil
- 2 baby gem lettuces, leaves shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into half moons
- Juice 1/2 lemon, plus wedges
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the sweet potato. Boil for 10 minutes or until soft, test with a knife. Drain thoroughly, then put back in the pan to steam dry. Mash until smooth then add maple syrup and combine.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a low-medium heat. Fry the shallots for 6-8 minutes until softened. Mix into the sweet potato mash with the dill and half the spring onions. Gently mix in the hot-smoked salmon, trying not to break up the flesh.
- With wet hands, shape the mixture into 2 large fishcakes and coat in flour.
- Whisk together the egg and milk and brush over each patty then cover in breadcrumbs.
- Put on a plate, cover with cling film and chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Put the fishcakes on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper and spray a few times with the oil on both sides. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and piping hot throughout.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining spring onions in a bowl with the lettuce and cucumber, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve the fishcakes and salad with extra lemon wedges for squeezing and a dollop of mayonnaise.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.