- 200g kale
- 200g pearl barley
- 200g chestnut mushrooms (quartered)
- 100g pastrami (sliced into thin strips)
- 2tsp butter
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- Wash the barley and then cook in water for 45 minutes
- Cook the kale in boiling water for 30 seconds, then immerse in a bowl of cold water
- Pan fry the mushrooms in butter and thyme until tender
- Add pastrami, drained kale and barley to a pan then add the maple syrup. Season with salt, pepper and sprigs of fresh thyme
- Fry together for 8 minutes and serve
This recipe is great for sharing with your workout buddy two hours before a demanding strength workout or cardio session to provide you with the essential energy to keep you going. Alternatively, cook the barley before you exercise, and it will be ready to add to the recipe after your workout.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.