- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large red onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 2 courgettes, sliced into discs
- 6-8 fresh tomatoes, mixed variety, cut into quarters
- Salt and pepper to season
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 250g basmati rice
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add onions and garlic and fry until soft
- Next add mustard, stir in maple syrup then add courgettes. Season with salt and pepper
- Add vegetable stock followed by tomatoes, mix together then leave to simmer on a medium heat for about 20 – 25 minutes allowing the liquid to reduce down
- In the meantime, boil rice following packet instructions, when cooked transfer rice to the pan with courgettes and tomatoes
- Fold in rice, check for seasoning and serve
A fluffy pilaf rice dish that’s full of flavour. This pilaf recipe, enriched with the natural sweetness of pure maple syrup, incorporates the complementary flavours of courgette and fresh tomato to form a lovely vegetable pilaf. Perfect for picnics and midweek meals.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.