FOR THE BAKED BEANS
- 1 green pepper, halved
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 x 400g mixed bean salad
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoke paprika
- 3 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 vegetable stock melt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp pure Canadian maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 2 thick slices of bread
- Turn the oven to 200oC. Cut the green pepper halves into small pieces and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Peel and crush the garlic, drain the beans and add to the ovenproof dish. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes to the beans.
- Quarter fill the empty tomato can with water (approx. 100ml) and add the water to the dish.
- Add the tomato puree, dried oregano, paprika, pure maple syrup, English mustard and stock.
- Cook the beans in the oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, put 2 teaspoons dried oregano into a big bowl, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a big bowl. Add 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup and mix together.
- Tear the slices of bread into small bite size pieces, add to the bowl and mix together with a spoon until all the bread is coated in the oil mixture.
- Take the beans out of the oven, sprinkle the croutons over the top and put back into the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes, until the bread is golden.
Baked beans on toast is a classic British comfort food – and it doesn’t get much tastier than this. With this baked beans recipe, you can make the most delicious homemade baked beans, enhanced by the natural sweetness of Canadian maple syrup.
This recipe was created in partnership with Cook School. Find out more about Cook School and download our workbooks for various age ranges here.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.