- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 4-8 slices of French bread
- 140g gruyere finely grated
- Melt 50g butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add 1kg halved and thinly sliced onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp maple syrup and cook for 20 mins, stirring frequently until caramelised. The onions should be golden.
- Add 4 thinly sliced garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time and stir well.
- Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add 250ml dry white wine, followed by 1.3l beef stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins
- To serve, turn on the grill and toast 4-8 slices of French bread. Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls
- Put a slice or two of toast on top of the bowls of soup, and pile on 140g finely grated gruyere cheese and grill until melted.
Caramelised maple onion soup is topped with crispy toast and melted gruyere cheese.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.