- 350g dried macaroni
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 onion
- 100g dairy-free margarine
- 85g plain flour
- 1 litre unsweetened organic soya milk
- 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 50g vegan cheese
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions in a large pan of salted boiling water.
- Peel and halve the onion, then place in a small pan over a medium heat with the milk. Slowly bring to the boil, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Melt the margarine over a medium heat, then add the flour, stirring continuously until it forms a roux. Add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Bring to the boil, then simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, pure maple syrup and nutritional yeast flakes, grate and stir in the vegan cheese (if using).
- Drain and add the macaroni to the sauce, then toss to coat. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof baking dish (roughly 20cm x 30cm), then set aside.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, then pick the thyme leaves, discarding the stalks. Add to a medium pan over a medium heat with a splash of oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden, then transfer to a food processor with the breadcrumbs and a splash of oil.
- Blitz until combined and roughly chopped, then sprinkle over the pasta. Place the dish in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
A vegan take on the American classic, this faux-cheese comfort food is made even more moreish with a splash of maple syrup to lift the saltiness.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.