- 500g peeled, raw white potatoes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g grated Cheddar cheese
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the maple bacon jam:
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to season
- In a pan, cook the bacon and red onion in the maple syrup and set aside onto paper towel. Leave to cool.
- Line a bowl with a clean j-cloth and grate the potato directly into it. Taking all four corners of the cloth, bring together and squeeze into a tight ball draining out as much excess water as possible. Empty the potato into the bowl and discard the j-cloth.
- In a small non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil. Place the potato rosti mix into the pan and spread out using a fork. Leave the rosti to cook through for about 15-20 minutes or until crispy. Carefully flip over and begin to gently crisp up the other side.
To make the maple bacon jam:
- In a small pan fry the bacon in maple syrup and add onion, salt and pepper and red wine vinegar. Leave to cook down and simmer together for about 30 minutes so all the juices reduce and you are left with a shiny, jammy consistency.
- Serve a portion of rosti with a poached egg, or a grilled piece of halloumi for brunch, light lunch or a snack. Spoon the maple bacon jam onto the side for additional flavour and maximum taste.
Enjoy as a tasty snack or part of a main meal, these maple bacon and potato rostis perfectly combine sweet and savoury flavours.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.