- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust taste)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g peeled and grated white potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 150g grated Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and fry bacon over a high heat until crisp. Set bacon aside on a paper towel to drain excess fat
- In the same pan, add maple syrup and fry onion until soft
- Put grated potatoes into a clean tea towel and wring out the excess water
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in flour, chilli flakes, cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well
- Shape portions of mixture into balls and flatten down into round potato discs
- Reheat pan with extra oil and fry 2 – 3 potato discs at a time until crisp, turning over to cook both sides
- Try serving with a chopped parsley and crème fraiche dip for a lunchtime snack
- For a vegan option, make the röstis without bacon and use a vegan cheese
The perfect balance of sweet and savoury, these crispy rostis with maple and bacon are scrumptious.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.