- 4 duck legs
- Vegetable oil, to cover
- 1 head of garlic, broken into cloves
- 1 bunch of rosemary
- 1 orange, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- 340g Pomegranate
- 170g demerara sugar
- 255ml orange juice
- 1tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich taste)
- 2tbsp water
- Over a medium-high heat, place all sauce ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until orange slices appear soft and cooked.
- Remove orange slices and carefully set aside; then over low heat, continue cooking until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the duck legs in one layer in a roasting tin and confit for 1 hour.
- When the duck legs have been cooking for 1 hour remove from the oven and spoon off almost all the fat (save for future confiting).
- Pour the sauce over and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking and reduce the sauce.
- Garnish with orange slices to serve.
This elegant and rich main is sure to impress guests over Christmas.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from starters and snacks to sumptuous desserts. Find one that’s perfect for you, your family and friends.